Green Mining Chemist
Welcome to Techsploration and for many of you, welcome back. The teachers who make up Techsploration are vitally important to the success of the program. Quite simply, we couldn’t do all that we do without you! Thank you to participating teachers for your commitment and the gift of your valuable time.
How will your students benefit?
Techsploration provides students with the tools they need to thoroughly research a career. It will increase their level of confidence and enhance their ability to make informed decisions about high school and post-secondary education and training options. It will enable them to:
- use a career-planning model that can assist with career decisions throughout their lives
- grasp the importance of work and how a career choice affects one’s future
- increase their knowledge about emerging science, skilled trades and technology careers
- expand their knowledge of career requirements, training paths and employment potential
- appreciate the value of science, math, technology and trades classes in keeping their career options open
- gain a more realistic perspective of a career by interacting with role models
- identify types of generic skills that are transferable to science, trades and technology occupations.
If you are not a Techsploration teacher, but would like to become one, please contact us.
“As a Science Teacher I am always struggling to find ways to show the importance of science and math to my students. The excellent role models they meet through Techsploration expose them to daily practical applications of these subjects and the students come away with new appreciation for the need to learn math and science, which they are then encouraged to share with their fellow students. In my 33 years of teaching, Techsploration is proving to be the most valuable program that has been offered to my students.”–Maureen Duffy-Mason, Teacher, New Germany Rural High School
To facilitate your work, team teachers receive a Techsploration binder. It is designed to provide you with step-by-step instructions to guide you in the process of preparing for each phase of the program and includes helpful checklists as well as answers to frequently asked questions.
Information for all Nova Scotia teachers and Guidance Counsellors from WISE Atlantic:
The NSERC Atlantic Chair for Women in Science and Engineering has launched a number of initiatives in the Atlantic provinces to support junior and senior high school girls, and teachers.Â Please visit www.WISEatlantic.ca information on how we can assist you.